Apropos of my NMR for March, I have decided to limit blogging to areas in which I want to develop expertise, viz., selected topics in philosophy (ethics, science, mind, Nietzsche), music, perhaps law.
While the odd impulse post might fall outside of those bounds, I hereby incorporate Daniel Davies's wisdom in "closing the books" on the following topics:
- God, Atheism, Religion
- Other "battleground" issues in the Culture Wars
- Media dysfunction
If it is any consolation,** my silence on these will probably not constitute any great loss.*
- I've either provided sound (dis)proofs for the relevant conjectures or I have not.
- If I have, then all that needs to be said has been said.
- If I have not, then the fact that I have not provided sound disproofs supports an inference that my arguments are not persuasively availing, in which case no more should be said.
- Therefore, my prospective silence on these topics will probably not constitute any great loss. QED
Of course the fact that this enthymeme is unsound only gives further support to the inference drawn at (3), supra, and, a fortiori, to any subsidiary conclusion drawn therefrom.
** But note that if my silence on these topics is unlikely to constitute any great loss, no consolation should be required (and indeed none could be given).